Follow these steps to minimize the discomfort and encourage proper healing after your Scaling and Root Planing procedures:
- A saltwater solution (1/2 teaspoon salt + 1/2 teaspoon soda + 8 ounces warm water) swished in your mouth for 2 to 3 minutes every hour can make you feel at ease.
- When brushing your teeth, use a soft toothbrush at least two times a day. Be gentle and clean thoroughly. Slight bleeding may occur while brushing as the tissues begin to heal.
- Food with strong spicy seasonings and are crunchy hard should be avoided for the next few days.
- Refrain from smoking for at least 24-48hrs as smoke chemicals in your body lessen the success of the treatment.
- You may feel sensitive to cold as you heal. We recommend to use a desensitizing toothpaste (such as Sensodyne®), or fluoride gel (such as Prevident® or Gel-Kam®) frequently (at least 4 times/day) for 1 to 2 weeks. Remember that the cleaner the teeth are kept, the less sensitive they will become.
- Use any other oral hygiene aids that have been recommended (floss, Perio-Aid®, rubber tip, Sonicare®, Proxabrush®, Gel-Kam® fluoride, Peridex® mouthrinse, etc).
- Take pain medications as recommended by your dentist.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please call us!